Some might not consider me an expert on the subject. Yet, I am now 71. I have seen a lot and I have seen a number of people who became rich, some somewhat quickly. So, I write this for those unaware of these methods. However, I suspect most will be disappointed. Most people are already well aware of them. To save some time, I will limit my methods to legal, though not necessarily honest ones.
- Inherit your fortune. While this method has the highest chances of succeeding, most people don’t have a rich aunt or uncle. This pretty much eliminates our chances. Still, if you can make good friends with a multi-millionaire, you might still have success with this method. On the other hand, some have succeeded in marrying the money. Naturally, for this to work in a reasonable time, you would want to marry someone who is old.
- I do not recommend this method. It is very rarely successful. Oddly, in spite of the odds, people continue to try this method. Carried to its end, it usually works for the house more often than the gambler. Some like the idea of buying chances on lotteries. Obviously, some people do win fortunes with this method. The truth be known, you would be better off taking part in the old illegal numbers games. As I said, though, I am going to steer free of the illegal methods.
- Come up with a really good idea. There is a long list of people who have made fortunes off of very simple things. Many times, I have seen advertisements for things and I could kick myself for not thinking of the idea first. Some are so obvious. In some cases, the inventions don’t even need to be useful. I think back over my past and I find some of the most successful things were the most useless. (Would you believe pet rocks? Yep! It made someone into a millionaire.)
- Becoming a lawyer. This works in a number of ways. Forget practicing law, The tort laws have probably been the one thing that made millionaires out of more people than any other one thing. One judgment can result in untold millions for just a few lawyers. I hear the lawyers advertising that they want to help the victims. The truth, however, is that they want to use it to make their fortunes. Even if you can’t get involved in a good tort lawsuit, you can still get elected to public office. Just look at the senators and representatives. They go into office as paupers and come out with the money overflowing their pockets. I can only guess how that happens but I would suspect that at least some of it is illegal. So maybe I shouldn’t include it in my list.
- Oddly, it does work. I heard on the news about a preacher that died and had a bank account of over a million dollars. When they checked on him, they realized he was just very frugal. To succeed at this, it does mean doing without some of the niceties in life, but it does work. Moreover, when you have the money to pay cash for things, it saves a fortune on interest paid. The truth be known, if you live like a pauper, you might become a millionaire. If you live like a millionaire, you will likely become a pauper.
- Become injured. This one is borderline legal. Yet, if you are truly injured by accident and you can show fault, you just might be able to become rich as the result of a judgment. This might have a major disadvantage, though. It might mean giving up an arm or leg, or possibly your health. Another disadvantage of this is that your lawyer will likely benefit almost as much as you. Most lawyers require a 40% contingency fee.
- Become a professional athlete. Most people would have better luck in a casino.
- Finally, you just might go out and earn it. I know most people don’t like this method. It is the one that you will find most rewarding. More important, it is impossible to ethically earn a fortune without being a help to others. It is the primary advantage of the capitalist system.